Maine Lobster and Crab Cakes
Lobster and crab cakes coated with panko, Japanese bread crumbs, with an easy homemade tartar sauce. Serve them for a delicious supper, or shape into smaller patties for an appetizer course. Recipe by chef Keith Audette at Tabitha Jean’s, 1996, Portland, Maine.
Easy Tartar Sauce:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
2 finely chopped cucumber pickles
2 teaspoons chopped capers
2 teaspoons finely minced parsley
1 teaspoon finely minced shallot or chives
Dash of celery salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound Maine crab meat, picked over for shells
1/2 pound cooked Maine lobster, chopped
1/4 cup fresh minced chives
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon panko crumbs
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup panko crumbs
- For Easy Tartar Sauce: Stir ingredients together in small bowl. Set aside.
- For Cakes: Stir together the crab, Maine lobster, chives, lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard and 1 tablespoon panko in a large bowl. Season the mixture to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper. Cover the mixture and chill.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over moderate heat. Sauté the minced garlic until golden and fragrant.
- Remove the garlic, add thyme and 1/2 cup panko and cook, stirring, until crumbs are golden brown. Cool crumbs.
- Divide Maine lobster and crab mixture into 8 mounds on a sheet of waxed paper. Form into patties and coat each patty with crumbs. Sprinkle any remaining crumbs on the top.
- Line a sheet pan with foil, transfer cakes to pan.
- Bake in the oven at 400°F (205°C) until just heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve 2 lobster cakes with salsa, or a dollop of Easy Tartar Sauce.
Makes 8 lobster and crab cakes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 129 calories, 13 grams protein, 4 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams fat, 370 mg. sodium, less than 1 gram fiber.
Recipe provided courtesy of Maine Lobster Promotion Council.