Moroccan Clam Cakes
Recipe courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority.
2 pound 3 ounces clams, cooked and shelled
1 pound 2 ounces potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
Salt to taste
2 large eggs, beaten - divided use
7/8 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
7 ounces bread crumbs
Sunflower or canola oil, for frying
- Preheat the oil to 275°F (135°C).
- Combine the potatoes, cayenne pepper, lime juice, herbs and 1 large egg in a bowl. Season with salt to taste.
- Fold the clams into the potato mixture. Shape into 6-inch rounds.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl; place 1 beaten egg in another shallow bowl; and place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Coat each clam cake in flour, then egg and then bread crumbs.
- Deep fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with a crisp green salad.
Makes 4 servings.
"From sea to plate, Seafish delivers expert knowledge, skills and support which help the UK seafood industry secure a sustainable and profitable future."
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Seafish, the UK Sea Fish Industry Authority www.seafish.org.