Rock Shrimp Cheese Strata
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
1 pound rock shrimp, peeled
6 slices whole-wheat white bread
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
6 large eggs, beaten
2 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
- Add shrimp to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Spread butter on both sides of bread slices and then cut off the crusts. Place buttered bread in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. On top of bread, layer in this order: rock shrimp, cheese and tomatoes.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half, and salt. Mix well and pour over tomatoes. Cover casserole and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 328; Calories From Fat: 158; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 285mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Protein: 26g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.