Carefully choosing nutritious ingredients,
you can help reduce the risk for heart disease and obesity while
still enjoying satisfying and delicious meals.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers,
rinsed and drained if bottled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 4 salmon fillets (about 4 ounces each),
rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over
medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the spinach and
lemon zest for 2 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted, stirring
constantly. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the bell peppers,
basil, and walnuts. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil
with cooking spray.
- Cut a lengthwise slit in the side of each
fillet to make a pocket for the stuffing. Be careful to not cut
through to the other side. With a spoon or your fingers, carefully
stuff a scant 1/2 cup spinach mixture into each fillet. Transfer
to the baking sheet. With a pastry brush or spoon, spread the
mustard over the fish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining
ingredients. Sprinkle over the fish. Lightly spray the tops with
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the
fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and the filling is
Makes 4 servings; 3 ounces fish and 1/2
cup vegetables per serving.
Nutrtional Information Per Serving: Calories
208; Total Fat 8.5 g; Saturated Fat 1.0 g; Trans Fat 0.0 g; Polyunsaturated
Fat 3.5 g; Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g; Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium
280 mg; Carbohydrates 6 g; Fiber 1 g; Sugars 1 g; Protein 27
Dietary Exchanges: 3 lean meat; 1/2 starch.
Recipe and photograph reprinted with permission
from Light & Easy Recipes, Copyright © 2008 by the American
Heart Association. Published by Publications International, Ltd.
Available at ShopHeart.com while supplies last; through ECES,
Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.