Almond Rice Bundles
Cabbage rolls filled with a zesty, aromatic mixture of cooked rice, almonds, currants, lemon peel, herbs and spices.
1 large head cabbage
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
1/2 teaspoon fines herbes
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups cooked rice (cooked in chicken broth)
3 tablespoons dried currants
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons water
1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Wash and clean cabbage. Immerse in salted boiling water; parboil 5 to 7 minutes. Remove outer 8 leaves as they become pliable. Drain and set aside.
- Cook almonds with fennel seeds, fines herbes, thyme, pepper and cinnamon in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until almonds are light brown. Stir in rice, currants and lemon peel; remove from heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup rice mixture onto center of each cabbage leaf. Tuck in sides and roll tightly into cylinders.
- Place rolls in greased baking dish. Sprinkle with water; top with lemon slices.
- Bake, covered, in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.