Amish Tomato Fritters
These great tasting fritters can be served year-round because they use canned tomatoes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, well-drained
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 large eggs
Vegetable oil for frying
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and dried basil leaves; set aside.
- Chop canned tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces; drain any excess liquid.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, onion, parsley and Worcestershire sauce to flour mixture, but do not mix; set aside.
- In small bowl beat eggs and then add to the flour-tomato mixture. Blend lightly with fork.
- Heat about 1/4-inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, drop the fritter batter by tablespoonfuls, using the back of the spoon. to flatten the fritters slightly. Fry until golden brown on one side, then turn and fry other side. Transfer fritters onto a paper towel-lined plate. Keep fritters warm until serving time.
Makes 2 dozen fritters.