Arroz a la Mexicana (Mexican Rice)
An easy, stove-top rice side dish that pairs perfectly with a Mexican-themed menu.
1 cup uncooked rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 3/4 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 cup cooked carrots, diced
- Cook rice in hot oil in 2 to 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in onion and garlic; cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Add broth and cumin. Heat to boiling; stir once or twice. Lower heat to simmer; cover with tight-fitting lid. Cook 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Combine tomato paste and 1 tablespoon water.
- Stir tomato mixture, peas, and carrots into rice; fluff with fork.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.