Baked Rice Milanaise
An Italian-style baked rice dish with onion, green bell pepper, chopped hard-boiled egg, mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce and basil. This versatile dish can be served as a side or as a meatless entrée.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups hot cooked rice*
3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated mozzarella or provolone cheese - divided use
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Sauté onion and green pepper in oil until tender but not brown.
- Combine with rice, eggs, 1 cup cheese, salt, pepper and tomato sauce.
- Turn into buttered shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 20 to 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
*According to the USA Rice Federation, 1 cup uncooked long grain rice cooked in 2 cups liquid for 18 to 20 minutes will yield approximately 3 to 4 cups cooked rice.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.