Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cranberry Gorgonzola Gremolata
The bold flavor of the gorgonzola gremolata sprinkled atop mashed sweet potatoes makes for a rich side dish that guests will love.
6 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 lemon, zested
1 clove garlic, minced finely
3 tablespoons minced pecans
3 tablespoons finely chopped dried cranberries
1 green onion, minced
2 ounces Stella gorgonzola, crumbled (If you prefer a milder flavor, use 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese instead of gorgonzola)
- To Make the Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place sweet potatoes on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Flip over and return to oven to bake until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- When cool enough to do so safely, peel sweet potatoes. Place in a medium skillet over low heat with butter, salt and maple syrup for 5 minutes, basting the potatoes with the butter mixture occasionally. Lightly smash the potatoes until there is an even consistency. Hold over low heat.
- To Make the Gorgonzola Gremolata: In a small bowl, toss together parsley, lemon zest, garlic, pecans, cranberries and green onion. Gently fold in the cheese.
- Transfer mashed sweet potatoes to a serving dish and sprinkle with the gremolata. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided by DCI Cheese Company, Inc., via Brandpoint Content; Copyright 1996-2014.