Black Beans and Yellow Rice
A colorful bacon, ham and veggie-flecked bed of yellow rice (turmeric gives the rice its yellow color) is topped with black beans.
6 slices bacon, diced
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups water
1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup diced fully-cooked ham (optional)
2 (14 to 16-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- Cook bacon in large skillet over low heat. Pour off fat. Return 1 tablespoon to skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice, salt, turmeric, red pepper and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add tomato, green pepper and ham; simmer 5 minutes longer, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Heat black beans and season as desired.
- Serve yellow rice in deep bowls and spoon beans in center.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.