Bourbon Three-Bean Bake
Bourbon-spiked, three-bean casserole with bacon, onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes and seasonings.
2 strips bacon
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes in their own juice
1/2 cup molasses
6 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup bourbon
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper toweling to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from skillet.
- Add onion and green bell pepper to skillet; sauté 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, molasses, tomato paste, bourbon, brown sugar, mustard, salt and black pepper. Bring to boiling; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Crumble bacon. Add to sauce along with black beans, red kidney beans and white kidney beans. Pour into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Makes 8 servings.