Braised Shallots with Balsamic Vinegar
A simple, yet elegant side dish of tender, braised shallots coated in a syrupy balsamic glaze.
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups (about 2 pounds) shallots, peeled
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Peel shallots. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the shallots and toss to coat with the oil.
- Add the wine and vinegar. Sprinkle sugar and thyme over all.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and braise the shallots 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.
- Remove lid. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Continue boiling 3 to 4 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to a syrupy glaze.
- Remove from heat, season with cracked pepper and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of www.butterball.com.