Broccoli Rice Puff
A delicious broccoli, rice and cheese soufflé casserole perfect for the holidays.
3 1/2 cups cooked rice*
1 pound frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms (about 5 ounces)
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg - divided use
4 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup milk
1 cup grated Gouda cheese
- Combine rice and broccoli in large mixing bowl.
- Cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until onion is tender crisp. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg. Stir mixture into rice and broccoli; mix well. Spoon into buttered shallow 2-quart baking pan or portion 1 cup mixture into buttered individual casseroles.
- Beat egg yolks with milk. Add cheese, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper and remaining 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into yolk mixture. Spread over rice mixture, or portion evenly over rice mixture in individual dishes (about 2/3 cup for each).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 30 minutes, or until mixture is hot and bubbly and top is lightly browned (15 to 20 minutes for individual dishes).
Makes 6 servings.
*According to the USA Rice Federation, 1 cup uncooked long grain rice cooked in 2 cups liquid for 18 to 20 minutes will yield approximately 3 to 4 cups cooked rice.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.