Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Spicily-seasoned Cajun red beans and rice with crumbled pork sausage.
1/2 pound dry pinto, kidney or pink beans
1 quart water
1/4 pound salt pork, diced
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 pound well-seasoned pork sausage meat, crumbled
1/2 cup sliced green onions
3 cups hot cooked rice
- Sort and wash beans. Combine beans, water and pork in large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Return to heat; simmer 45 minutes.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme and tomato sauce. Continue simmering, covered, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sausage and green onions; replace cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until beans and sausage are tender. Add boiling water if beans become dry while cooking.
- Serve beans with mounds of fluffy rice.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.