Caramelized Onion-Potato Tart
A savory potato tart topped with a sherried white sauce and caramelized onions.
1 (24-ounce) package frozen potatoes with peppers and onions
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
7 tablespoons all-purpose flour - divided use
2 pounds sweet onions (about 6 small)
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine - divided use
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dry sherry
- Stir together potatoes, eggs, and 2 tablespoons flour; place in a lightly greased 10-inch tart pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 30 minutes.
- Cut onions in half, and cut halves into slices.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; stir in brown sugar. Add onion, and cook, stirring constantly, 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove onion, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/4 cup butter in skillet over low heat; whisk in remaining 5 tablespoons flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Add milk gradually; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until onion mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper, and sherry. Pour over potatoes and top with onion mixture.
- Bake tart at 400°F (205°C) for 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.