Celery Root, Potato and Fennel Gratin
Celery root and fennel add both flavor and a touch of sophistication to a classic dish—potatoes au gratin.
1 large celery root, about 1 pound, peeled and thinly sliced
2 baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and thinly sliced
2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter
12 ounces (3 cups) shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly butter a 3-quart baking dish.
- Place the celery root, potatoes, and fennel in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the milk and butter.
- Layer 1/3 of the vegetables in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layering, reserving the last 1/3 of the cheese.
- Pour the milk mixture over all, pressing the vegetables down to cover. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender.
Makes 8 servings.