Cheddar Broccoli Soufflé
This broccoli and cheddar cheese soufflé doubles as both a meatless entrée or side dish.
4 to 5 slices wheat bread
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons wheat flour
1 1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard
1 pinch pepper
2/3 cup grated cheddar Cheese
2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
2 tablespoons finely minced onion
5 large eggs, separated
- Line bottom of soufflé dish with slices of bread or use deep casserole dish.
- In a saucepan mix oil and flour. Heat slowly. Stir in milk until thickened. Add salt, mustard and pepper.
- Remove sauce from heat. Add grated cheese. Stir until melted. Cool. Add chopped broccoli and onion, and let cool.
- Add egg yolks one by one to broccoli mixture. Let mixture stand while you beat the egg whites until they hold firm peaks. Take a large spoon and gently fold in all of egg whites.
- Turn into soufflé or casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 50 to 55 minutes. Do not open oven while soufflé is baking.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Vermont Cheese Council.