Chermoula Grilled Cremini
Skewers of chermoula-marinated cremini mushrooms and chunks of sweet red pepper are grilled to a savory perfection. Recipe courtesy of Chef Allen Susser of Chef Allen’s, Miami, Florida.
Chermoula is a traditional marinade used in Algerian, Moroccan and Tunisian cooking typically containing olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and coriander.
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh mint
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 cup fresh lemon juice
4 ounces (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
24 whole cremini mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
6 (10 to 12-inch) bamboo skewers*
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- For Chermoula: Combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, and mint in a food processor and blend to a paste. Stir in the paprika, pepper, salt, coriander, and cayenne. Whisk in the lemon juice and oil until blended.
- Pour the chermoula over the mushrooms, cover, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- For Skewers: Thread 4 mushrooms and 4 pepper pieces on each water-soaked bamboo skewer.
- Lightly drizzle skewers with oil and grill over high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Turn the skewer carefully with tongs and grill for about 3 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 skewers/servings.
*Soak bamboo skewers in water for several minutes prior to using.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Mushroom Council and mushroominfo.com.