Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
Nothing says classic holiday comfort food like an old-fashioned sweet potato casserole with a nutty streusel topping and toasted marshmallows! Recipe and photograph by Fabulessly Frugal.
4 cups sweet potato, cubed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Cook over medium high heat until tender; drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Transfer to a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mini marshmallows.
- In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the mixture over the marshmallows.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.