Fritters are made with a biscuit-like dough that's deep fried until golden.
2 ears fresh corn or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg
- In a deep fryer or deep skillet, preheat about 2-inches of oil to 365°F (185°C).
- Cut kernels from cobs with a sharp knife. In a medium bowl, combine kernels with egg yolks; mix well.
- Sift flour with salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir into corn mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into corn mixture.
- Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil. Cook until golden, about 3
minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
Makes about 24 fritters.