Crispy fried corn fritters make a tasty side or appetizer with an accompanying sauce such as a salsa.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh cut corn kernels (or frozen, thawed)
1 large egg, separated
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons corn or vegetable oil
Additional oil for deep-frying
- Heat oil in deep fryer or deep skillet to 365°F (185°C).
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolk, milk, and corn oil together. Gradually add the flour mixture.
- Beat the egg white until stiff; fold it into the batter. Gently fold in the corn.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, cooking just a few at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry until fritters are puffed and browned, turning once. Drain fritters on a paper towel. Serve hot.
Makes about 24 fritters.