Warm, creamy corn pudding is one of the classic comfort foods—and a favorite side dish for the holidays, too!
2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar, more if desired
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Generously butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of the corn in the blender and whirl until pureed. In a large bowl, combine the pureed corn, remaining corn kernels, flour, sugar, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper, and mix well. Cut the butter into small pieces and stir into the corn mixture.
- Place the eggs into a medium bowl and beat vigorously until they are light and foamy. Add the beaten eggs and the milk to the corn mixture, stirring well. Pour the pudding into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the nutmeg.
- Set the dish into a large roasting pan and pour enough water into the roasting pan to reach about one-quarter of the way up the sides of the baking dish. Carefully set the roasting pan (with the baking dish inside) in the hot oven on the middle shelf.
- Bake the pudding for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let set a few minutes and serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.