Creamy Elegant Artichokes
An elegant vegetable casserole with toasted almonds and a lemon-scented cream sauce with a kiss of nutmeg.
1/2 cup slivered almonds
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
2 quarts broccoflower florets (about 2 small heads), cooked, crisp-tender, well drained
3 carrots, peeled, sliced, cooked crisp-tender, well drained
1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained, gently squeezed dry
- Toast almonds in 1 tablespoon butter in small skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
- Bring whipping cream and remaining butter to boil in 3 quart saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling 15 minutes.
- Add red pepper and seasonings; continue boiling over medium-low heat until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in lemon rind (sauce should yield 1 1/3 cups).
- Pour over combined broccoflower and carrots; toss lightly.
- Arrange artichokes on bottom of buttered 2 quart rectangular baking dish. Top with broccoflower mixture; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 minutes or until hot.
Makes 8 servings.
To Make Ahead: Prepare as directed; do not top with almonds. Cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Uncover; top with almonds. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C), 25 to 30 minutes or until hot.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.