When you serve this extraordinary onion side dish, you can be sure someone will ask for the recipe.
2 medium Spanish onions, sliced
2 medium red onions, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
2 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook onion rings in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Place in buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole, alternating onion slices with tomato slices. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp; add green pepper and garlic salt; sauté. Stir in tomato sauce and pour over onions.
- Cover and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.