Double Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Pungent horseradish and fresh chives flavor this side dish of creamy mashed potatoes with two types of cheese.
2 1/2 (6 to 7 medium-sized) pounds russet baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
3 tablespoons softened butter
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Additional shredded cheese for sprinkling on top
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until very tender, about 18 minutes.
- Drain in colander.
- Return potatoes to pot and mash with potato masher.
- Stir in butter and cheeses and mix until smooth.
- Add milk to make a creamy consistency.
- Stir in horseradish and half of the chives.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with additional cheese and remaining chives.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Dairy Association.