Easter Egg Potatoes
Delight young and old with these stuffed baked potatoes that resemble golden Easter eggs..
8 small baking potatoes (about 4 ounces each) or 4 large baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each)
1/2 cup light dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
2 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
Whole fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C) or 350°F (175°C) Scrub potatoes with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes in 2 or 3 places with a fork. (If desired, for softer skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each in foil.)
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking pan. Bake potatoes, uncovered, in a 425°F (220°C) oven for 40 to 50 minutes for small potatoes or 60 to 70 minutes for large potatoes (or in a 350°F | 175°C oven for 60 to 70 minutes for small potatoes or 80 to 90 minutes for large potatoes) or until tender. Remove from oven; cool slightly for easier handling.
- For small potatoes, cut a thin crosswise slice off both ends of each baked potato. (For large potatoes, cut potatoes in half crosswise. Cut a thin crosswise slice from the round ends of the potatoes.) Scoop pulp from slices; discard skin. Place pulp in a bowl. Carefully scoop pulp from each potato, leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Add pulp to bowl; set shells aside.
- Mash the potato pulp. Stir in sour cream or yogurt, cheese, chives, mustard, salt, and pepper. (If necessary, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to make of desired consistency.) Stir in hard-cooked eggs. Carefully spoon potato mixture into shells. Stand the potato "eggs" upright in a 2-quart rectangular or square baking dish.
- Bake large or small potatoes, uncovered, in a 425°F (220°C) oven about 20 minutes (or in a 325°F | 160°C oven for 35 to 40 minutes) or until heated through and tops are lightly browned. Top with additional whole fresh chives, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories: 185, total fat: 5g, saturated fat: 2g, cholesterol: 64mg, sodium: 266mg, carbohydrate: 29g, fiber: 1g, protein: 7g, vitamin A: 5%, vitamin C: 29%, calcium: 7%, iron: 10%.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.