Florentine Crêpe Cups
Tender crêpes are formed into cups and filled with a custard of spinach, bacon and cheddar cheese. These would make a lovely addition to a weekend or holiday brunch buffet.
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
6 (6-inch) crêpes
- For Crêpes: Combine flour, salt, and milk, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, and beat well; let stand 20 minutes.
- Brush bottom of a 6-inch crêpe pan or heavy skillet with oil; place over medium heat just until hot, but not smoking. Pour 2 tablespoons batter into pan. Tilt pan in all directions so that batter covers pan with a thin film. Cook 1 minute or until lightly browned. Lift crêpe to test for doneness. Crêpe is ready for flipping when it can be shaken loose from the pan. Flip crêpe, and cook about 3 seconds on other side. (This side is usually spotty brown and is the side on which filling is placed.)
- Place crêpe on a towel to cool. Stack crêpes between layers of wax paper to prevent sticking. Repeat until all batter is used. Makes 16 (6-inch) crêpes.
- For Filling: Combine cheese and flour; toss. Stir in spinach and remaining ingredients except crêpes, mixing well.
- Carefully place 6 crêpes into 6 lightly greased 6-ounce custard cups, and fill each with spinach mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: Remaining crêpes may be frozen, if desired. Thaw at room temperature; fill as desired.