French Fried Sweet Potatoes
Frying twice ensures crisp-textured French fries that retain their crunch for a longer period of time.
3 large sweet potatoes
Canola, peanut or vegetable oil
Salt to taste
Deep fryer or pan
- Peel potatoes. Cut each in 1/2-inch slices. Then cut slices into 1/4-inch sticks. Place in a bowl of ice water to soak for 30 minutes. (Soaking removes starch, so that potatoes will be crisp when deep fried.)
- Heat oil to 360°F (180°C) in deep fryer.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry thoroughly using paper towels. Any excess water will splatter when they are added to the hot oil.
- Dip frying basket in oil (this prevents the potatoes from sticking to it), then add a handful of potatoes into basket. Lower into oil and par-fry for 3 minutes or until potatoes are tender, but not browned. Lift basket and allow potatoes to drain. Turn out onto a brown paper bag lined with paper towels. Repeat procedure with remaining potatoes.
- Increase the temperature of the heated oil to 390°F (200°C).
- Return the par-fried potatoes to the oil in batches and cook a second time until golden and crispy, watching closely as they will finish cooking quickly. Drain on a fresh brown paper bag lined with paper towels. Salt to taste and serve hot.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.