Grated Zucchini-Potato Pancakes
with Smoked Salmon and Apricot-Horseradish Sauce
Recipe by Chef Lou Aron of Westside Catering in Boise, Idaho.
Apricot Horseradish Sauce:
2/3 cup prepared horseradish sauce
2 tablespoons apricot preserves
1 tablespoon minced dried apricots
1 large zucchini, grated and squeezed dry
1 small Idaho® baking potato
3 chopped green onions
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon margarine
1/2 pound prepared smoked salmon
- For Apricot Horseradish Sauce: Mix sauce ingredients well and refrigerate.
- For Pancakes: In a medium size bowl, combine the zucchini, potato, green onions, flour, egg, egg white, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Coat a medium size skillet with cooking spray. Melt the margarine in the skillet over moderate heat. Add the zucchini mixture, shaping it into a cake with a ladle, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Coat uncooked side with spray. Turn the cake over and cook for 1 minute.
- To Serve: Cut the cake into quarters. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the horseradish sauce on each quarter, then top with a generous amount of the smoked salmon.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.