Green Bean Casserole
Bread crumbs and sweet onion top this reduced-calorie version of the classic green bean casserole.
2 (9-ounce) packages frozen French-style green beans
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons margarine
3 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1 (10.75-ounce) can lower-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 tablespoons diced pimento
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the green beans according to the package directions, except omit salt. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook the onion in margarine until onion is tender. Stir in the bread crumbs; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the soup, yogurt, pimiento, and pepper. Stir in the beans. Transfer mixture to a 1-quart casserole. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture atop beans in casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the mixture is heated through and the crumbs are golden.
- If desired, garnish with additional pimiento pieces.
Makes 5 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/5 of recipe):calories (1/5 of recipe): 121, total fat: 6g, saturated fat: .5g, cholesterol: 3mg, sodium: 330mg, carbohydrate: 15g, fiber: 2g, protein: 4g, vitamin A: 11%, vitamin C: 22%, calcium: 11%, iron: 7%, starch: .5diabetic exchange, fat: 1diabetic exchange.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.