Green Beans with Glazed Onions
An extraordinary green bean casserole to grace your holiday meal.
2 (16-ounce) bags frozen pearl onions, thawed
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar - divided use
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
3 pounds fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- In medium saucepan, combine onions, 4 tablespoons vinegar, butter, vegetable oil, thyme, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat over low heat until butter is melted; stirring to coat onions. Place mixture on a baking sheet and roast in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are browned nicely; remove from oven and set aside.
- Blanch green beans in large saucepan of boiling water just until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, mustard, sugar, the remaining 4 tablespoons of the vinegar, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- In a large bowl, toss the dressing together with the onions and the green beans. Place the mixture in a large casserole dish and cover.*
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
*Recipe can be made ahead at this point and refrigerated for a day. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.