with Lemon, Olive Oil and Parmesan Cheese
This is a dish that doesn't have to be prepared at the last minute. The hot beans heat the oil slightly and warm the cheese. The lemon juice brightens everything up and draws out the unique flavor characteristics of each ingredient. You can serve these beans hot, warm or at room temperature. Sprinkle the warm toasted pistachios over the salads just before serving.
1 pound green beans, washed, ends remove
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Coarse grained salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1 to 2 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 ounce Parmesan cheese curls*
2 tablespoons toasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Bring eight cups of salted water to a boil. Place green beans in the pot and cook to your desired degree of doneness. Strain the water off the green beans and place them back in the pot.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the beans and stir to coat. Season with salt and cracked pepper, stir once more. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Gradually add the lemon juice to taste. Adjust seasonings.
- Divide beans among serving plates. Garnish with cheese curls. Serve about 3 to 5 long cheese curls per guest.
- Divide pistachios equally among salad plates. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
*To create cheese curl garnishes; hold a block of parmesan over each plate and gently drag a very sharp carrot peeler over the block or wedge of cheese and apply a little pressure as you drag the peeler over the surface of these. You will begin to see paper thin cheese curls falling where they may. Aim for your plates.
Tip: Toast pistachios for deeper flavor, place in a 350°F (175°C) oven or dry skillet over medium heat. Toast for 5 to 10 minutes, until they brown, but do not overcook. They will continue to cook when removed from the oven.
Recipe provided courtesy of TheGreenNut.org, through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.