Guilt-Free Golden Mashed Potatoes
Making a few simple substitutions and changing your method of preparation can result in a mouthwatering new versions of your family's favorite foods.
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
2 reduced-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 cup skim milk
Half an 8-ounce package fat-free cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes. Place in 4-quart saucepan with bouillon and water to cover.
- Cover pan. Bring to a boil and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain and return potatoes to pan.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Mash potatoes with electric mixer or hand-held ricer.
- Add all remaining ingredients to potatoes except parsley. Mix well.
- Place six oval-shaped mounds of potatoes on baking sheet, lightly covered with vegetable spray.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley just before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 118 calories, .5 grams total fat, .3 grams saturated fat per serving.
Recipe reprinted from "Fix-it and Enjoy-it Healthy Cookbook". Copyright by Good Books. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Recipe provided courtesy of MayoClinic.com; through ARA Content.