A classic Irish potato side dish.
3 medium potatoes
1 large onion
2 tablespoons bacon fat
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream for accompaniment
- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut in to paper thin slices. Pat dry with a towel.
- Cut the onion into paper thin slices.
- Heat half of the bacon fat in a heavy frying pan and fill the pan with alternate layers of potatoes, onions, and cheese, finishing with potatoes.
- Sprinkle each layer with salt and pepper. Dot the final layer with remaining bacon fat. Cook over moderate heat until potatoes are almost tender.
- Turn the Haggerty carefully onto a plate and then carefully slide it back into the pan and continue cooking until done.
- To serve, cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Makes 3 to 4 servings.