Idaho® Peruvian Potato Cakes
Recipe courtesy of Chef Scott Gottlich of the The Westin Galleria's 2nd Floor Restaurant in Dallas, Texas.
4 pounds Idaho® Purple Potatoes
5 large egg yolks
4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup herbs chopped (flat-leaf parsley, thyme, etc.)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
All purpose flour
Coarse bread crumbs
- Boil large purple potatoes in boiling water until fork tender. Carefully peel the potatoes while warm, discarding the skins and placing the meat of the potato in a food mill or kitchen aid with the paddle attachment.
- Warm the cream and butter and add to the potatoes along with other ingredients, except eggs.
- Completely blend all the ingredients until the potatoes are smooth and then add the egg yolks one at a time until incorporated. Spread the potatoes out on a cookie sheet or a 1-inch sheet pan and spread smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent from hardening and cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cut out desired size of potato with a cookie cutter or ring. Set up a breading station of all purpose flour, whisked eggs and coarse bread crumbs.
- Bread them by placing in flour first, brush off excess flour and completely coat with egg and then transfer to bread crumbs. Repeat this process for a double breading.
- Fry the potato cake in oil until golden brown and finish in the oven until hot and serve.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.