Idaho Potato Pancakes
Created by Heather Gardea, Corporate Executive Chef Advantica Restaurant Group, Spartanburg, S.C. This recipe appears on the menu at Coco's Café & Bakery and Coco's Bakery Restaurant.
2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled*
8 ounces yellow onions
2 large eggs, beaten
4 ounces ham, diced
1/4 cup green onions, diced
3 ounces green bell pepper, diced
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil as needed
Sour cream as needed
- Rinse potatoes under cold water. Coarsely grate potatoes and onion using grater or food processor. Place in towel; twist to squeeze out all water.
- Mix potato and yellow onion with eggs, ham, green onions, bell peppers and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat griddle or non-stick pan with thin film of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Drop approximately 2 tablespoons potato pancake mixture onto griddle and flatten with spatula. Fry until golden, flip over and brown other side, about 4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towel; serve immediately with sour cream.
Makes 36 pancakes.
*For convenience, frozen hash browns can be substituted for the fresh Idaho® potatoes.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission.