Puff pastry shells are filled with an Italian-style tomato and pesto-flavored rice, zucchini, ricotta and tofu filling.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium zucchini, diced
2 tablespoons sherry
3 cups cooked rice*
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian style tomatoes
1/4 cup prepared pesto
2 large egg whites
1/2 of a (10.5-ounce) package firm tofu, mashed
1 cup ricotta cheese
6 frozen puff pastry shells
- Heat oil in large skillet; sauté onion and garlic over medium heat 2 minutes. Add zucchini and sherry; sauté 5 minutes until soft. Remove from heat; stir in rice, tomatoes and pesto. Set aside.
- Bake puff pastry shells 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile lightly beat egg whites in medium bowl. Stir in tofu and ricotta cheese. Add tofu mixture to zucchini mixture.
- Spoon zucchini mixture into center of each half-baked pastry shell.
- Bake stuffed shells 400°F (205°C) 15 more minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
*According to the USA Rice Federation, 1 cup uncooked long grain rice cooked in 2 cups liquid for 18 to 20 minutes will yield approximately 3 to 4 cups cooked rice.
Recipe provided courtesy of USA Rice Federation.