Mixed Grilled Garden Vegetables
This grilled side dish is a celebration of the bounty of a summertime garden.
1 lemon, cut into wedges
3 fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
18 baby carrots, peeled
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
3 zucchini, ends trimmed and cut into 1/3 inch strips
1 onion, cut into 1/2 in. wedges
1 pepper, cleaned and quartered
1 dozen mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
1 garlic clove, minced
Black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Trim the tops of the artichokes, remove the outer leaves, cut the stem away and then rub with a lemon wedge. Cut the artichokes in half, remove the choke and quarter. Add to a bowl of acidulated water.
- To the pot of boiling water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, then add the artichokes and simmer until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the fennel bulbs and the baby carrots to the pot. Cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, zucchini, onion, pepper, and mushrooms to a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, minced garlic and black pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Remove the parboiled vegetables from the pot and add to the baking dish. Again, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, tossing to coat the vegetables evenly with the mixture.
- Preheat the KitchenAid grill to high.
- Grill all the vegetables on both sides until tender, about 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the vegetables.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and video provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.