Onion with Herbs
Bake these herbed onions in the oven or throw them on the grill.
4 medium onions
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Peel onions and cut a small slice from the top, leaving the root end whole. Cut each onion from the top into 8 wedges, being careful not to cut through to the root end.
- Brush four sheets of aluminum foil with the olive oil.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except bread crumbs, and drizzle 1/4 of mixture into each onion. Wrap each onion securely in its foil wrapper.
- Bake in the middle of oven for an hour or until tender. During last 5 minutes of baking, open foil and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
Makes 4 servings.