Parmesan Pan-Fried Tomatoes
Crispy pan-fried ripe tomatoes, breaded with seasoned panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Terrific served alongside grilled or roasted meats and poultry. Or, for a delicious breakfast treat, serve them with bacon and eggs.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup panko Japanese bread crumbs
12 slices tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick (about 3 tomatoes)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine flour, onion powder, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- In separate bowl combine panko and Parmesan.
- In third bowl combine eggs and mustard.
- Take slices of tomato and dip in flour, dust off excess. Then dip in egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Finally dip in parmesan/panko mixture, pressing Parmesan mixture onto slices for good coverage. Repeat until all slices are breaded. These should be stored in a single layer dusted lightly with extra crumbs.
- Heat olive oil in non-stick frying pan, over medium-high heat. Place 3 slices in pan, and let cook about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side, until just golden brown. Don't flip too soon or Parmesan mix will fall off. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.