Polenta with Sautéed Vegetables
An eye-appealing first course or side dish.
1 (6.6-ounce) package polenta mix
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup (1 ounce) freshly grated Parmsean cheese
1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup (3 ounces) sliced fresh white mushrooms
1/2 cup zucchini, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 slices cheddar, fontina or mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- Prepare polenta mix according to package directions; stir in butter and Parmesan cheese. Spread into ungreased 11x7x2-inch baking dish; cool for 30 minutes.
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in water until soft; slice.
- Preheat broiler. Line broiler pan with foil.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add carrot, white mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cut polenta into 8 pieces; place on prepared broiler pan. Top each piece with 1/3 cup vegetable mixture and 1 slice cheese. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 8 servings.