Potato latkes are a fancy way to dress up any meal.
2 pounds potatoes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large onion, grated
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
1/2 cup apple sauce (optional)
- Using a food processor, grate potatoes and onion into a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the mixture tightly between your hands to release excess water and return the potatoes and onion to a bowl.
- To the potato mixture add flour, egg, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Next in a large heavy skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Using your hands or a spoon, put about 2 tablespoons per pancake into the skillet.
- Cook each pancake for 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes or until golden brown, crisp and cooked through.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.