Praline Stuffed Yams
With a crumbly praline topping, these stuffed yams are hard to beat.
3 pounds small to medium yams (sweet potatoes), unpeeled, washed and dried
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon - divided use
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°C (205°C).
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and cook for 1 hour or until tender.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato and carefully scoop pulp into a bowl, leaving 1/4-inch thick shells.
- In a mixing bowl, mash pulp; add sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla, mixing until smooth.
- Spoon mixture evenly into potato shells. Place on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix the butter, flour, brown sugar, pecans, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon together until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over potatoes.
- Reduce oven to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking 15 minutes or until topping is brown.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.