Roasted Sweet Potato Spears
with Pineapple Salsa
Roasted sweet potato spears served with a tropical pineapple salsa.
Sweet Potato Spears:
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
Cooking oil spray
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
1 (8-ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks with juice
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup fine diced onion
2 teaspoons chopped flat Italian parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Sweet Potato Spears: Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges.
- Spray a baking sheet (one with sides) lightly with cooking oil spray.
- Arrange potato wedges in a single layer on the cookie sheet and place in the center of the oven.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn wedges over, bake 15 more minutes or until fork-tender and golden brown.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and cayenne pepper, if desired. Transfer to platter and spoon salsa over wedges. Serve immediately.
- For the Pineapple Salsa: Pour the pineapple chunks and their juice into a non-reactive bowl (if the chunks are large, cut them in half). Stir in the red bell pepper, onion, parsley and lemon juice. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.