with Creamy White Wine Sauce
This colorful assortment of fresh vegetables, topped with a delicious rich and creamy Swiss cheese and white wine sauce, steals the show as an appetizing side dish.
8 cups (about 2 pounds total) zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 medium red bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme - divided use
1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese - divided use
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Line baking sheet with foil.
- Place zucchini, bell peppers and onion in single layer on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon thyme; toss lightly to coat.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Transfer to 2-quart serving dish.
- Meanwhile, heat evaporated milk, wine, cornstarch, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon thyme, salt and onion powder in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring just to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing each addition to be melted before adding more cheese. Remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce over vegetables; toss lightly to coat. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Makes 18 servings
Tip: Large diameter zucchini or yellow summer squash may be cut in half or quarters before slicing.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/18 of recipe): Calories: 70 Calories from Fat: 35 Total Fat: 4 g Saturated Fat: 1.5 g Cholesterol: 10 mg Sodium: 30 mg Carbohydrates: 5 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 3 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.