Sensational Sweet Potato Bake
With a filling that melts in your mouth and a crunchy brown sugar topping, this sweet potato dish is perfect for holiday meals.
3 pounds (4 medium) sweet potatoes (yams), or 4 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained
8 tablespoons light margarine - divided use
1 (13-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups crushed Crispix (or cereal of your choice)
- In a large pot, cover sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain and cool slightly. Peel potatoes and cut into chunks; set aside.
- In small pot or microwave safe dish, cook 4 tablespoons margarine and marshmallow creme, stirring constantly, until margarine is melted and mixture is creamy.
- In mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, marshmallow mixture, egg, egg whites, sugar, and milk until smooth. Transfer to 3-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt remaining 4 tablespoons margarine and brown sugar. Stir in crushed cereal. Sprinkle over sweet potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Tip: Canned yams and sweet potatoes are already cooked.
Created by Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg.
Recipe provided courtesy of Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission.