Southern Rice Pilaf Stuffing
A hearty ham, rice and bread stuffing. Makes a great main dish casserole using leftover holiday ham.
4 1/2 cups water
4 teaspoons Vegetable Redi-Base
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup wild rice
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped cooked ham
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped celery with leaves
1 bunch collard greens, sliced
2 teaspoons dried marjoram
3 cups dried bread cubes
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large eggs, beaten
- Bring 3 cups water, 3 teaspoons Vegetable Redi-Base and bay leaf to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in wild rice; reduce heat to low, cover and cook 30 minutes. Stir in white rice; cover and cook until both are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer rice to large bowl. Discard bay leaf.
- Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ham, onions and celery and sauté until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add Collard greens and marjoram and sauté until greens wilt, about 3 minutes. Add mixture to rice. Mix in bread cubes, pecans, beaten eggs and nutmeg.
- Mix together remaining 1 1/2 cups water and 1 teaspoon Vegetable Redi-Base and add to stuffing for more moisture.
- Bake stuffing, covered, in a well-greased baking pan for about 30 minutes at 375°F (190°C). Enjoy!
Makes 12 cups.
Recipe used with permission by the Redi-Base Soup & Sauce Company;www.redibase.com