Stuffed Chiles with Yellow Rice
A delicious treat from the grill—rice and cheese-filled chiles.
3/4 cup uncooked rice
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
8 Anaheim chile peppers
3/4 cup chopped roma tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh cilantro leaves, if desired
- Heat gas grill to medium or charcoal grill until coals are ash white.
- Meanwhile, cook rice with turmeric according to package directions. Drain.
- Leaving stems intact, cut a slit lengthwise 1/2 inch from stem to tip of each pepper. Carefully remove seeds and membranes.
- Combine cooked rice, tomatoes, green onions and cheese in large bowl; mix well. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice mixture into each pepper.
- Place peppers on grill. Cover; grill until peppers are heated through and cheese is melted (8 to 10 minutes). Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.