Sweet Potato Gratin
A layered casserole with sweet potato, apple and caramelized onion in a peppery, cinnamon cream sauce with a brown sugared bread crumb topping.
5 Granny Smith apples
3 large sweet potatoes
2 large sweet onions
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar - divided use
1/4 cup butter or margarine - divided use
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Peel first 3 ingredients. Cut apples and sweet potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices; set aside. cut onions crosswise in half, and cut each half into thin slices.
- Combine sliced onion, 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, about 15 minutes or until onion is caramel colored. Set aside.
- Combine granulated sugar and next 3 ingredients.
- Layer one-third of apple and sweet potato slices alternately into a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with half of sugar mixture, and top with half of onion mixture. Repeat procedure, ending with apple and sweet potato slices. Pour whipping cream over top.
- Stir together bread crumbs, flour, and remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar; cut in remaining 2 tablespoons butter with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Let stand 10 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.