Sweet Idaho Potato and Ricotta Latkes
Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.
12 ounces Idaho potatoes, peeled
3 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Grate potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Stir in ricotta, flour, sugar, orange peel, baking powder and salt. Add eggs and raisins; mix until well combined.
- In a large, heavy, non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat. Using a tablespoon, spoon potato mixture into skillet, using about 2 tablespoons per pancake. (Skillet should hold about 4 pancakes at a time.) Flatten mixture slightly with a spatula. Cook pancakes 2 minutes, then flip and cook another 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer pancakes to a baking sheet while cooking the remaining pancakes.
- Place cooked pancakes in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven and bake 10 minutes or until pancakes are cooked through.
- Garnish pancakes with a sprinkling of powdered sugar and serve with applesauce, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 156; Total Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 28mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 145mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.